Condo Insurance

A condominium unit can be a good choice for a first home, especially for single people who don’t need a lot of space. Just as with any other type of residential property you need to protect your condo by insuring it.

What is it?
Condo insurance covers individual condo units. It has some elements of both renters and homeowners insurance because it doesn’t cover the physical structure in which the condo resides. It does cover personal possessions and, depending on the type of policy, may cover fixtures in the unit. A condo policy also offers personal liability protection.

Who is it for?
Anyone who owns a condo unit that he or she lives in needs to have a condo policy. If you rent a condo space from someone else or own a condo that you rent out, you need another type of insurance.

How does it work?
If your condo is damaged or destroyed by fire, weather or some other event that is covered by your policy, you will need to get in touch with your insurance company or agent to file a claim. Your insurer will evaluate the damage, confirm that it is covered and then pay to repair your condo unit and for you to live elsewhere if needed. If you have a personal liability issue, your insurer will work to settle or will pay for a lawyer to represent you if need be up to the limits in your policy.

Types of policies
There are two main types of condo policies, and the one you need depends on what type of insurance your building owner or owners association carries. If the building insurance is an “all-in” policy, then it covers the physical parts of the condo’s interior, such as walls and floors, in which case your policy only needs to cover your own possessions. If the building insurance is “bare-walls” coverage, then it doesn’t cover anything inside the condo unit, and your policy has to cover walls, floors and fixtures.

Major benefits
The main benefits of condo insurance are coverage for your personal belongings and the personal liability coverage you get.